Faculty advisors and other staff involved in the advising process at Butler County Community College are dedicated to assisting students in identifying and reaching their academic and career goals. Advisors can provide current and accurate information on policies, procedures, and programs of the College. In addition, they can make students aware of the wide range of services and educational opportunities that exist on campus and assist students in becoming more self-directed.
New students are advised by academic counselors and faculty members regarding placement and proper course selection for the first semester. For each subsequent semester, departmental faculty advisors or academic counselors may meet with students to assess academic progress and to approve further course selections.
Academic Advising Options
Current students have two options concerning academic advising. They may choose to:
- Meet with their faculty advisors or academic counselors each semester to plan their course selection for the following semester prior to registration OR
- Select and register without the assistance of a faculty advisor or academic counselor. By choosing option number two, students accept the responsibility for meeting all prerequisites and completing the program requirements toward graduation.
The following students are not eligible for option number two (self-registration):
- First time students (new and transfer)
- Re-admit students (suspension and dismissal)
- Probation students
- Selected admissions programs (Medical Assistant, Nursing, Physical Therapy Assistant, and Massage Therapy)
- General studies (undecided-100U and developmental-100D)
Counselors are available to assist students in dealing with personal problems that may be interfering with their academic success. Students may be referred to outside agencies if the sessions go beyond the resources of the department.
Meet the Advising & Counseling Staff
Career Development Coordinator/Academic Advisor
Off-campus Sites Contact Information