Steps to Success
Ready for the New Year?
A lot of us share the desire to improve ourselves, especially at the beginning of the new year. According to “Forbes Magazine”, more than 40% of Americans make resolutions to eat better, lose weight, exercise, save more and spend less, be kinder and wiser to name a few. The reality is that only about 8% of the resolution makers stick with their goals (I’m usually not in this group).
What should BC3 students be considering as you face the spring semester and prepare attitude adjustments as you march into 2018? I’ve done a little homework in that regard, so let me share with you some of the suggestions I found to help motivate you in the coming months.
- Make sure you get enough sleep each night. Proper rest is vital to your student success and your health.
- Set a goal to get a specific amount of exercise each week. Don’t just say I’m going to work out. Say I will visit the Field House 3 times a week or I will walk the trail each day.
- Make small, healthy changes in each meal like eliminating soda pop or adding more fruits and vegetables. The Pioneer Café has several options for you.
- Try something new once a month; attend a guest lecture, read a book that might not normally interest you, or go to a concert that you would not usually attend.
- Join a student club or organization, attend BC3’s Leadership Series on campus, or volunteer within your local community.
- Get a handle on spending. If you have a credit card, use it only for things you absolutely need.
- Get organized both at home and at school. Don’t forget to use that student planner given to you on Welcome Day
- Stop procrastinating.
Certainly the start of a new year and semester brings an opportunity for positive
change. The key to making your resolutions work is keeping things simple…while your
aspirations may reach the stars you need to set S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable,
Achievable, Realistic, and Timely) goals so that you stick with them.
All of us at BC3 wish you a Happy New Year and continued success in pursuing your educational goals. As always, know that we are here to help you every step of the way. Please contact these offices if you need any assistance.
- BC3 main phone number: 724.287.8711
- Admissions: 724.287.8711 x8501
- Academic Center for Enrichment (ACE: Placement Testing & Advising): 724.287.8711 x8606
- Financial Aid: 724.287.8711 x8509
- Records and Registration: 724.287.8711 x8253
-Jerry Johnston, Admissions Representative/Business Relations