VA Education Benefits for Summer
VA Education Benefits for Summer work differently than benefits for fall or spring.
Please review the information below to help you plan for summer.
Keep in mind, the VA does not add all summer courses together (UNLESS they have the
EXACT same dates). Your enrollment is based on the status of each class. If there
are days when your courses overlap, the VA will add your enrollment status for those
overlap days only.
If you are interested in taking summer classes and using your educational benefits,
please refer to number 6 below and complete the Summer VA Enrollment Certification Request Form.
How to determine your Enrollment for Each Summer Course
Follow the steps below to determine your enrollment status for each summer course.
Please keep in mind that the VA is ultimately responsible for determining your enrollment
status. The worksheet below is intended to help you as much as possible, for planning
Follow these Simple Steps
Download the Summer Worksheet file.
- Under "Enrollment Term Dates," enter the term dates for EACH summer course you are
taken separately (UNLESS they have the EXACT same course dates). Be sure to use slashes in the date (Example: Day/Month/Year)
- Skip the "Holiday Break Dates" Section (Do NOT fill out this section).
- Under "Semester Terms," enter the number of credits for the courses that have the
EXACT SAME term dates. Skip the "Quarter Terms" Section.
- Overlapping time periods will be added together by the VA. Your enrollment is based
on the status of each class. If there are days when your courses overlap, the VA will
add your enrollment status for those overlap days only.
- The "Semester Training Time" at the bottom indicates the enrollment status for those
credits.If you are Post 9/11 GI Bill®, watch for time periods where you only have an online
- Complete the Summer VA Enrollment Certification Request Form.